Re: The Choice: IPv4 Exhaustion or Transition to IPv6

  • From: Bob Snyder
  • Date: Fri Jun 29 09:57:07 2007

On Jun 29, 2007, at 4:51 AM, Andy Davidson wrote:

I'm not saying that v6 should be binned in favour of turning off the internet when we run out of v4, but this is a non-exhaustive list of projects we all should be undertaking. Is everyone on the list working through their own list ? I'd wager not.

And you don't need to be pushing this to customers immediately to be getting ready. As discussed at NANOG37, Comcast is pushing out IPv6 initially to manage cable modems and set-top boxes (http:// www.nanog.org/mtg-0606/durand.html). While this doesn't benefit customers directly, it gets the routing environment set up to handle IPv6, it gets the operational staff up to speed, and lays the groundwork and infrastructure for when consumer IPv6 is more of a reality.

Bob