Re: The Choice: IPv4 Exhaustion or Transition to IPv6

  • From: Iljitsch van Beijnum
  • Date: Thu Jun 28 18:33:32 2007

On 28-jun-2007, at 18:51, John Curran wrote:

   If you have a plan for continued operation of the Internet
   during IPv4 depletion, please write it up as an RFC.  Our
   present Internet routing scheme is predominantly working
   based on hierarchical routing but I'm certain there are
   alternatives.

How about this: when the OS only has an IPv6 address, and an application wants to talk to an IPv4-only destination, automatically proxy the TCP session through an HTTPS proxy. This catches anything that uses TCP and doesn't need to know its own IPv4 address (hard to know if you don't have one) which would be upwards of 95% of all protocols in widespread use. So we only have to fix that other 5%.