Re: TransAtlantic Cable Break

  • From: Chris L. Morrow
  • Date: Sun Jun 24 11:32:47 2007

On Sun, 24 Jun 2007, Robert Blayzor wrote:

> > However, if you put 15G down your "20G" path, you have no redundancy.
> > In a cut, dropping 5G on the floor, causing 33% packet loss is not
> > "up", it might as well be down.
>
> I don't know if that's always true.  Case in point 802.17.  It runs
> active-active in unprotected space.  While you have the extra bandwidth
> and classes of service, a cut doesn't really mean you're hard down, it
> all depends on the SLA's you provide to customers.  Of course anything
> over the guaranteed bandwidth during failure would be classed only as
> "best effort".

Then there's the interesting: "How do you classify 'to be dropped'
traffic?" Simon suggests nntp or BitTorrent could be put into a lower
class queue, I'm curious as to how you'd classify traffic which is
port-agile such as BitTorrent though. In theory that sounds like a grand
plan, in practice it isn't simple...