Re: Software or PHP/PERL scripts for simple network management?

  • From: david raistrick
  • Date: Wed Jun 20 10:47:37 2007

On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 [email protected] wrote:

information (i.e. source of all data). Canonical data is in
routing/forwarding tables on routers/switches. That's the operational
reality.

The amount of data that you need to track IP allocations just doesn't fit
well into DNS - there's no place to store customer id/service id, the
length of allocation (is this IP part of a /28? /29?), etc. So you'll have
to have "canonical data" somewhere else anyway.

You've never used comments in your dns? I have yet to figure out how to insert a comment into my routing tables that tells me what a routing entry is for, but it's pretty easy to put a # line in my tinydns data or my bind zone file that tells me who this is for, how large it is, when it was allocated, by whom, and when it was deallocated and why....

After all, there are occasions when an allocated subnet won't show up in my routing tables....

---
david raistrick        http://www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote.html
[email protected]             http://www.expita.com/nomime.html