Re: FBI tells the public to call their ISP for help

  • From: D'Arcy J.M. Cain
  • Date: Fri Jun 15 16:42:56 2007

On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 13:17:07 -0700
"Scott Weeks" <[email protected]> wrote:
> : Most ISPs recommend using Microsoft software or
> : provide software for the Microsoft platform, and
> : require to turn on JavaScript
>
> I've never heard of an ISP requiring this.  They might provide it for you if you want to use their branded Micro$loth-oriented software, but it's not a requirement.  Any ISP requiring folks to use a particular OS is doomed to fail.

You're kidding, right?  Have you ever called an ISP to report a
technical problem that has nothing to do with your computer or even
your connection to them, say a reverse DNS issue?  If you tell them
that you run Unix they just ask you to run IE anyway.  If you don't run
Windows they won't help you.  That's a pretty clear message.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain <[email protected]>         |  Democracy is three wolves