Re: FBI tells the public to call their ISP for help

  • From: Kevin Day
  • Date: Fri Jun 15 16:26:40 2007

On Jun 15, 2007, at 3:06 PM, Florian Weimer wrote:

Most users don't buy their software from Microsoft, either.  It's
preinstalled on their PC, and Microsoft disclaims any support.

That is mostly true, except in the case of security issues - which is what I believe this thread is somehow still talking about.

Microsoft gives no-charge phone support to all Windows users, regardless of where you received your license, if it's a security related problem. Viruses, spyware, intrusions, etc. Call 1-866- PCSAFETY in the US/Canada, or you can click at link at http:// support.microsoft.com/security to get information for other countries.

I've never tried it, but I've heard that they've been surprisingly helpful, even in cases where it was obviously not Microsoft's fault (directly, anyway). I'm not 100% positive that their policy explicitly allows OEM license holders to use that number, but from those I've talked to that have used it - they don't ask for any license information at all. After they've verified it fits their definition of a security problem, you're handed over to a tech to help you clean it up.

-- Kevin