RE: 24x7 Support Strategies

  • From: Scott Weeks
  • Date: Thu Jun 14 18:39:56 2007

--------------- [email protected] wrote:-----------------
From: Joe Abley <[email protected]>
On 14-Jun-2007, at 02:32, Sam Stickland wrote:

> Does anyone have any CCIE (or equivalent technical ability) staff
> on a 24x7 shift? What about CCIE level staff on an on-call rota
> with a garanteed response time? How about CCNP?

Does anybody actually put any stock in the presence or absence of
vendor certifications on a resume when judging the capabilities of an
engineer?

There's no correlation between certification and capability, in my
experience.

The issue I've found is many times I am being hired by folks that don't know IP networking very well and don't know any other way to evaluate a person's ability WRT IP networking than requiring certs of one type or another.  Or trust the confidence I express when answering the questions they do ask.  One day, hopefully, someone will ask me in an interview good technical questions that I can answer in a proper manner and then they'll let me telecommute for most of the year...  ;-)

From: "Farrell,Bob" <[email protected]>
You would if you knew how hard the tests were. ( not counting Microsoft of course)

I would what?  You don't make sense.

scott