Re: UK ISPs v. US ISPs (was RE: Network Level Content Blocking)

  • From: Stephen Sprunk
  • Date: Sat Jun 09 22:05:51 2007

Thus spake "Kradorex Xeron" <[email protected]>
From my view, ISPs should continue their role as "passing the
packets" and not say what their users can or cannot view. It's
when ISPs start interfering with what their users do is when we
will run into legal, political and otherwise issues that I'm sure
none of us want to see.

IIRC, AOL got whacked by a court years ago because they censored some chat rooms and not others. The court held that since they censored some content, they lost their status as a common carrier and were liable for other content they didn't censor (either by intent or mistake). This was a particularly interesting case, since the implication was that ISPs who _don't_ censor content _are_ common carriers, which I don't think has otherwise been touched upon in the US.

K5SSS --Isaac Asimov