Re: Network Level Content Blocking (UK) for people who cant be bothered to read the article..

  • From: alex
  • Date: Fri Jun 08 12:01:08 2007

On Fri, 8 Jun 2007, Donald Stahl wrote:

> "The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious encroachment by men of
> zeal, well-meaning but without understanding."
>
> -Judge Louis Brandeis
<snip>

> I am not willing to give up any of my own liberties to protect children.
> We already have laws that do that and judging by the number of people
> arrested they seem to work. You reach a point of diminishing returns.
Hello,

Before *this* thread spins out of control, I would like to draw your
attention to NANOG-L AUP, available at http://www.nanog.org/aup.html ,
particularly #6: Postings of political, philosophical, and legal nature
are discouraged.

In other words, it is on-topic to discuss operational effect of filtering
- what the original post started with. It is on-topic to discuss how to
filter and comply with government or corporate mandates to filter. It is
on-topic to discuss existing logging/filtering solutions and their
operational impact.

It is "not so much" on topic to discuss legalities of filtering, but I
think most agree that it still belongs here.

It is clearly off-topic to discuss lists of british colonies, or civil
liberties or protection of children - there are better forums to do this.

Please follow any replies to this message to [email protected]

-alex (acting mlc chair)