Re: Whois and the DoD

  • From: Florian Weimer
  • Date: Tue Jun 05 16:27:55 2007

* Hank Nussbacher:

> Based on http://www.iana.org/assignments/ipv4-address-space I would
> assume IANA might be interested in mandating that any organization
> having IP space from them must operate an accessible whois server.

For new address space, I agree.  I'm not sure if it's worth the
trouble to create a policy for this.  Presumably, this is all about
legacy allocations which hardly change, so anyone could compile a
machine-readable list and have them put into the popular clients.

(I assume you mean information such as "this netblock has been given
to that organization", not meaningful WHOIS for sub-allocations.)