Re: Security gain from NAT

  • From: Matthew Palmer
  • Date: Mon Jun 04 20:31:28 2007

On Mon, Jun 04, 2007 at 11:34:30PM +0100, Sam Stickland wrote:

> Matthew Palmer wrote:
> >I can think of one counter-example to this argument, and that's
> >SSL-protected services, where having a proxy, transparent or otherwise, in
> >your data stream just isn't going to work.
>
> Not so. Look at: http://muffin.doit.org/docs/rfc/tunneling_ssl.html

Sorry, that was a *really* poor choice of phrase on my part (so much for my
proof-reading skills).  It certainly wasn't what I meant to say.

What I *meant* to say is that while you *can* tunnel HTTPS (or other
SSL/encryption protected) traffic through a regular proxy, it doesn't
provide any value that a firewall can't, because you can't get any
protocol-specific info out of the data stream (which is what a regular
application proxy depends on to do it's work).  Everything that I can think
of that you can do in a proxy with an HTTPS request can be done in the
firewall instead (although you may lack the infrastructure in your firewall
to do it while it's built into your proxy, such as restricting IP addresses
or request rates or whatever).  Your HTTP proxy can't restrict HTTPS traffic
based on the requested hostname, it can't cache the request, it can't log
the request URL, it can't do any sort of request/response rewriting, and so
on.  The argumentative person might observe that you can require
authentication to use an HTTP proxy, but you can also have logins to
firewalls (a la captive portals).

Hopefully that's a little more useful (though verbose) than my previous
comment.  <grin>

- Matt