Re: Security gain from NAT

  • From: Donald Stahl
  • Date: Mon Jun 04 20:07:52 2007

But NAT *requires* stateful inspection;
No, NAT does not require this.
In the context of this discussion it does.

Port NAT mapping one IP to many does, but there are other
kinds of NAT.
This is exactly the NAT that is being spoken of though.

this lack of precision can lead to nasty results when
clueless middle managers demand things they don't understand
(which is, after all, the way of clueless middle managers.) the
technically minded of us can at least not aggravate the situation
by being sloppy with our use of language.
I find it doubtful that clueless middle manager types read NANOG but your concerns are obviously valid- who knows what someone is going to stumble upon when reading the archives.

I suspect everyone in this thread is completely aware of the differences however.

-Don