Re: NANOG 40 agenda posted

  • From: Bernhard Schmidt
  • Date: Mon Jun 04 09:43:52 2007

Nathan Ward <[email protected]> wrote:

> The other mode would be to set up mail.ipv6.yahoo.com and have
> customers use that for whatever protocol they send/receive mail with,
> and not point an MX at an AAAA for the time being.

Actually I would do it the other way around, adding AAAA to the MX set
is rather painless, as only full-blown MTAs with well-defined fallback
procedures (and without a user sitting in front of it wondering why the
hell it is so slow) use it anyway. Traffic won't be high, I think you
won't need an LB from day 0, one server should be sufficient for current
traffic (and if not, you can always add multiple AAAA records).

Enabling IPv6 on customer-facing services is harder, as you will almost
certainly run into some broken client. A dedicated hostname for tests is
good, but that won't help you find the people that are completely
unaware of the existence of IP at all, but somehow got a broken IPv6
stack installed (old Linux kernels with on-link assumption for example).

Regards,
Bernhard