Re: IPv6 Training?

  • From: Jeroen Massar
  • Date: Sun Jun 03 03:58:31 2007

Petri Helenius wrote:

> [email protected] wrote:
>> Alex Rubenstein writes:
>>
>>> Does anyone know of any good IPv6 training resources (classroom, or
>>> self-guided)?
>>>

>> If your router vendor supports IPv6 (surprisingly, many do!):
>>
> Too bad the IPv6 support on the low-end Ciscos is mostly broken in many
> ways (does not work on WLAN, does not work across the local 4 port
> switch, etc.) , which are also the routers most classrooms could afford.

The magic answer to training setups: one big fat Xen box with a lot of
VM's, virtual interfaces and of course: Quagga.

It looks like a Cisco, it feels like a Cisco, it is almost a Cisco.

At least the interface is more or less the same. And that is what
people need to learn, the basics of configuration. If there is a
little variation in commands they should be able to cope to that. If
they only know how to type it into a Cisco then they didn't really
learn about it. Yes it is different, no it is not as cool, but it
makes it very cheap to learn people these things.

That said of course, who still types directly into their routers? I do
hope that folks use one of the nice (custom) router/device management
tools out there which avoids all of that.

Greets,
 Jeroen