Code for IPv6 test for content providers (was Re: NANOG 40 agenda posted)

  • From: Nathan Ward
  • Date: Sat Jun 02 05:37:13 2007

On 30/05/2007, at 10:55 AM, Nathan Ward wrote:

I've got an idea that just fell out of my brain for web content providers to get a handle on their 'ipv6-ability' - how many eyeballs they would lose by adding www AAAA records.
<stuff>

I've implemented this, with some frills.

Code is at http://www.braintrust.co.nz/ipv6wwwtest/ and is probably rough around the edges. I'm not really a JavaScript hacker so it probably isn't terribly amazing quality, but it seems to work OK for me - I've been running it on several of my websites with a large range of user clue+access+OS+browser+ISP as visitors and I've had no complaints. The code is running on the page above, too.

The default timeout in the tarball is too high, 10000-20000 is probably adequate.

Please let me know if you use it, or if you do something similar or use it for inspiration or whatever.
In addition, I'm sure we'd all love to see any statistics you can share.

Enjoy!

--
Nathan Ward