Re: IPv6 Advertisements

  • From: Stephen Sprunk
  • Date: Fri Jun 01 10:56:08 2007

Thus spake <[email protected]>
If an ISP wants to aggregate their IPv6 traffic, they will announce
one block for their entire global network. Then, internally, they
will assign /48s in LA from a western USA internal allocation
and /48s in Hamburg from a northwestern Europe internal
allocation.

Bad example, since (a) blocks from different RIRs aren't going to aggregate and (b) RIPE doesn't assign /48s anyway.

If we were talking about a company with sites on the east and left coasts of the US, then IMHO they should get a single /48 if they have internal connectivity (single site) and two /48s if not (two sites).

However, I wouldn't argue (much) with ARIN issuing a /47 even in the former case on the logic that such constitutes two "sites", particularly if they had separate management; it's when we get to the level of hundreds or thousands of locations (with internal connectivity) that I have a problem with calling each location a "site". Below that, it doesn't do much harm.

K5SSS --Isaac Asimov