Re: why same names, was Re: NANOG 40 agenda posted

  • From: David Conrad
  • Date: Tue May 29 19:46:40 2007

Ed,

On May 29, 2007, at 12:11 PM, Edward Lewis wrote:
If you want to read Dilbert on-line and I tell you that it is available at a certain URL, would you rather I give you "http:// www.dilbert.com" or that I send you "if you use IPv4 then http:// www.dilbert.com" else if you use IPv6 then http://www6.dilbert.com else buy a newspaper"?

I would prefer you to give me a mechanism by which I can reach the URL.

We have tried to overlay the same transport and presentation layer onto a new network layer, but have not engineered the new network layer to facilitate this. We have new APIs and new naming attributes, requiring applications to do the heavy lifting while at the same time, not providing any reasonable mechanism to relay information back to the applications when it turns out that heavy lifting is in vain.

I would agree that in the ideal world, an end user should be able to point their browser to a given URL and get back the same content irrespective of the underlying network layer protocol being used. However, in the world I live in, it doesn't work like this. Of course you can argue that the only way we'll be able to get to the ideal world is by forcing people to deal with the breakage so that it'll be fixed, but I'd point to Vijay's presentations. The problem is, if you're a large scale ISP, how many calls to your help desk will it take until your helpdesk staff says "turn off IPv6"?

Rgds,
-drc