Re: IPv6 Advertisements

  • From: Jared Mauch
  • Date: Tue May 29 19:12:07 2007

On Tue, May 29, 2007 at 01:10:17PM -0400, Donald Stahl wrote:

> > f-root does this on the IPv6 side:  2001:500::/48
> >
> > Whether that's available everywhere on IPv6 networks, is as Bill
> > pointed-out, another question.
>  One of the root servers not being available everywhere seems like a pretty
>  lousy idea :)
>
>  On another note- are there any folks on the list who haven't at least
>  started testing v6- either in a lab or on their home network? Is there a
>  particular reason why?
>
>  Does anyone have any horror stories about deploying v6? (Aside from problems
>  with tunnels resulting from A and AAAA records for the same host). With rare
>  exceptions every transition I've read about has been pretty painless.

	I found that my bank had nameservers that did not work
properly when asked for the AAAA record as well as the A record.  A phone
call to their whois contact data resolved it!

	I believe they had to turn on some ipv6 compatability mode even
though they were not doing ipv6 themselves.  I suspect some folks are still
using older nameserver software that has this defect.  But the majority of
websites these days work properly as the Mozilla, Safari and other browser
engines have been asking about AAAA for years now and i've not seen anyone
broken in years now.  I'm sure someone is broken, but nobody I've noticed.

	- jared