Re: IPv6 Advertisements

  • From: Paul Vixie
  • Date: Tue May 29 15:29:18 2007

> > I understand the problems but I think there are clear cut cases where
> > /48's make sense- a large scale anycast DNS provider would seem to be a
> > good candidate for a /48 and I would hope it would get routed. Then
> > again that might be the only sensible reason...
>
> f-root does this on the IPv6 side:  2001:500::/48
>
> Whether that's available everywhere on IPv6 networks, is as Bill
> pointed-out, another question.

<http://www.arin.net/reference/micro_allocations.html> explains what's going
on with that /48.  <http://www.root-servers.org/> shows some other /48's.  if
the RIR community wants "critical infrastructure" to use a /48, then f-root's
operator will comply.  if the RIR community changes its mind, then f-root's
operator will comply with that, too.
--
Paul Vixie