Re: NANOG 40 agenda posted

  • From: John Curran
  • Date: Tue May 29 08:57:34 2007

At 3:30 PM +0000 5/27/07, Chris L. Morrow wrote:
>what's going to change this in the near future?

At some point in the near future (e.g. 3 to 5 years),
an ISP is going to be connecting some customers to
the 'Internet' using just IPv6 addresses.  It may not
be your ISP doing it first, but it will very quickly go
from just one ISP connecting IPv6-only customers
to lots of ISP's doing IPv6-only customers.

This changeover will not: 1) Fix the routing problem
inherent with present locator/endpoint binding, nor
2) solve your favorite fib/rib/cam/convergence limit,
nor 3) make the infrastructure inherently either
easier to operate or more secure.

One can argue with the date when this occurs, based
on your particular address reclamation, reuse, and
market expectations,  but it's still going to happen
since there's no other game in town. (*)

At this point, ISP's should make solid plans for supplying
customers  with both IPv4 and IPv6 connectivity, even
if the IPv6 connectivity is solely for their web servers and
mail gateway.  The priority is not getting customers to
use IPv6, it's getting their public-facing servers IPv6
reachable in addition to IPv4.

We've have to move efficiently towards readiness for
the IPv6-only customer that will be told this is his only
choice for Internet connectivity.  While some customers
may shop around or buy their way of that honor, that
only works for a very short time until the answer is the
same throughout the network.

Actual behavior of ISPs will change as they realize even
if they're not the first ISP to have to connect customers
via IPv6-only, they will be face that situation in time.

/John

(*) Anyone advocating staying with IPv4 and relying
      on NAT and market demand as an alternative
      needs to consider the completely deaggregated
      address usage pattern (and routing table explosion)
      that results.

P.S.  I'm not at this NANOG, and it's probably too late
        to round up presentations, but what might be
        really helpful to most folks would be presentations
        which cover some or most aspects (getting transit,
        address planning, routing, firewall, DNS/DHCP) of
        dropping IPv6 into existing IPv4 service providers
        with destroying today's production services by
        accident.   Real world experience is preferred over
        vendor thoughts, but at this point well-conceived
        plans would be helpful from any quarter.  I would
        be happy to volunteer my services to recruit for
        presenters for future meetings; if anyone has an
        a thought for folks qualified to speak on such plans,
        drop me a note and I will encourage they find their
        way to the NANOG PC with the right enthusiasm.