Re: NANOG 40 agenda posted

  • From: Jared Mauch
  • Date: Sat May 26 21:59:32 2007

On Sat, May 26, 2007 at 07:51:52PM +0100, Jeroen Massar wrote:
> Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
> > On Sat, 26 May 2007 00:39:19 -0400
> > Randy Bush <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >> you have something new and interesting about ipv6?  if so, did you
> >> submit?
> >>
> > Given the ARIN statement, I think it's time for more discussion of v6
> > migration, transition, and operations issues.  No, I'm not volunteering;
> > I'm not running a v6 network.  I suspect that Martin is right -- the
> > program committee should be proactive on this topic and seek out
> > presenters.
>
> If you want somebody to 'present' something about IPv6 transition, then
> probably the first step is to start indexing what the current problems
> are for ISP's and then kick the people who can explain that...
>
> From the top of my head, it starts by upgrading:
>  - Routers
>  - Management Tools
>  - Monitoring Tools
>  - CPEs
>  - Getting proper transit
>  - Loadbalancers and other net infra
>  - and other things I forget here

	I think you're missing a few things here.
(subset of CPE --)
 - "Firewalls" and NAT (wasn't v6 supposed to stop the latter)
 - end-hosts (Grandma still using unpatched win98/winME isn't going
    to be looking at the ipv6 pr0n project anyways.. or is she ;)
 - DDoS Mitigation devices (where's my ipv6 capable "guard"?)

	the good news is there's a mostly reasonable story for most
folks under the CPE, Transit, "Core" Routers (subject to a caveat matrix),
Monitoring and Management.

	It does require some upgrades to these systems, which depending
on things, could cost some money.  I'd love to see google or Y! with
an AAAA record.  Or even Microsoft ;)

	It'd be cool to see the number of folks still using busted
resolver software who says 'google is busted' and the rest of the world
will see it continue to work without trouble.  It's going to take
someone like them to help shift things.  (or even akamai ;))

	- jared