Re: Interesting new dns failures

  • From: Chris L. Morrow
  • Date: Fri May 25 20:53:03 2007

On Sat, 26 May 2007, Will Hargrave wrote:

> Joe Provo wrote:
>
> > An obvious catalyst was commercialization of domains.  Which
> > interestingly enough leads us back to the lack of categories and
> > naming morass in which we live. I find it quite humourous that
> > new 'restrictive membership' branches of the tree are now being
> > proposed as a solution to the problem of identity (eg, .bank to
> > "solve" phishing).  Unless there will be some level of enforcement
> > teeth, we will see the same situtaion that played out in 94/95:
>
> On a national level it's probably fairly easy to work this sort of thing
> out. Lists of banks exist, as do lists of schools (.sch.uk is
> prepopulated). The .ltd.uk and .plc.uk are only available to people with
> the appropriate company form but aren't really that popular.
>
> There's a larger issue of not just practicalities but is this in fact an
>  appropriate use for DNS? DNS isn't a security mechanism.

and studies have already shown that 98% of the populace doesn't know:

www.bankovamerica.com
from

where the thing is pointed (.bank .secure .hereliesgoodness) isn't
relevant so much as making the bad thing go away as quickly as possible...
unless there's a way to discourage it from being made in the first place,
which brings us back to the monetary incentives and policy to provide
such.