Re: Interesting new dns failures

  • From: Will Hargrave
  • Date: Fri May 25 19:22:15 2007

Joe Provo wrote:

> An obvious catalyst was commercialization of domains.  Which
> interestingly enough leads us back to the lack of categories and
> naming morass in which we live. I find it quite humourous that
> new 'restrictive membership' branches of the tree are now being
> proposed as a solution to the problem of identity (eg, .bank to
> "solve" phishing).  Unless there will be some level of enforcement
> teeth, we will see the same situtaion that played out in 94/95:

On a national level it's probably fairly easy to work this sort of thing
out. Lists of banks exist, as do lists of schools (.sch.uk is
prepopulated). The .ltd.uk and .plc.uk are only available to people with
the appropriate company form but aren't really that popular.

There's a larger issue of not just practicalities but is this in fact an
 appropriate use for DNS? DNS isn't a security mechanism.

Will