BGP announce/withdrawal history.

  • From: Forrest W. Christian
  • Date: Thu May 24 03:46:33 2007

Earlier today I had an issue where a circuit to one of my two BGP connected upstreams went away for an hour or so.

During this period, I expected BGP to act as expected and migrate the traffic to the second circuit with a second provider. This did not occur. Initially I figured this had to do with route flap amplification or similar causing route dampening. However, when the circuit came back up connectivity was almost immediately restored to the entire internet, which doesn't seem consistant with a route flap dampening, unless the timing was just coincidental.

This leads me to believe that the routes may have not been withdrawn for the path through the second provider even though the circuit was down for ~90 minutes. How this would have occured I have no idea.

At this point, I'm trying to reconstruct the state of the global routing table in relation to my prefixes during this period. I seem to recall at least historically that there was at least one or two places which were capturing route announcement/withdrawl data on the internet. However, google fails me. Is this data currently being captured anywhere, and if so, is this data publically available (or at least are the data "owners" willing to provide an extract for my prefixes)?

Any pointers would be helpful.

Thanks.