RE: Interesting new dns failures

  • From: michael.dillon
  • Date: Tue May 22 20:36:29 2007

> The directory that was contracted
> and 'supposed to' exist as part of the NNSC-to-InterNIC dance
> was to be built by old-ATT Labs. As far as I can recall, it
> was ever only an ftp repository and not much of a 'directory
> and database service' (corrections welcome).

Anyone remember the Internet Scout? Even back then labors of love like
John December's list were more useful than the Internic services. And of
course, there was USENET with its categorized discussion groups, many of
which had regular FAQ postings. That too was more of a real Internet
directory (yellow pages) than the DNS (white pages) has ever been.

Does everybody on this list even know what I'm talking about when I say
"yellow pages"? I'll bet there are a few that are scratching their
heads. I know that I haven't used them for about 10 years.

--Michael Dillon