Re: Interesting new dns failures

  • From: Tim Franklin
  • Date: Mon May 21 17:25:03 2007

Stewart Honsberger wrote:

Which is why new TLDs like .xxx et al. are redundant. I can see that becoming a haven for vanity domains.

It gets worse.

In a previous life, I had the job of de-bunking^Wevaluating whichever bunch of alt-root snake-oil salesmen had managed to get an audience with our CTO with the pitch that it would be absolutely brilliant if everyone could just invent their own TLD.

"Just imagine - Fooboz could own .fooboz, then they could have sales.fooboz, support.fooboz, widgets.fooboz..."

"You know sales.fooboz.com, www.sales.fooboz.com, and www.fooboz.com/sales all work today, right?"

Added to that their own panel of "Internet experts" to decide if a given Fooboz out of 47 (last time I checked) potential trade-mark holders on 'fooboz' and countless possible companies of the same name has the *real* claim on the .fooboz TLD.

Feh. That way lies madness.

Regards,
Tim.