Re: Interesting new dns failures

  • From: John Curran
  • Date: Mon May 21 09:28:39 2007

At 5:30 AM +0000 5/21/07, Fergie wrote:
>Why not? The Registrars seem sto being doing a great job of
>expediting the activation of new domains -- why can't they de-activate
>them just as quickly when they find out they are being used for
>malicious purposes?
>
>The "business interests" of the registrars, that's why.

Not to defend those doing malicious things, or service providers
that consciously hide such for money, but there is another
reason why removal/blockage/filtering/etc doesn't always
happen in a timely manner, and that's the legal liability.  In
larger organizations, the potential for liability can result in a
real administrative burden of paperwork before getting the
green light to terminate.  I don't know if that's the case here,
but would recommend against jumping to greed as the only
possible reason for hesitation in moving against such folks.

/John