Re: recommendations for Cisco repair?

  • From: Justin M. Streiner
  • Date: Fri May 18 14:14:48 2007

On Fri, 18 May 2007, Carl Alexander wrote:

I've searched the archives, and am somewhat surprised to find no
discussion of this:  Does anyone have a recommendation for cisco
repair/refurbishing?  (Background for any who care:  We had a
power supply die on a 7206VXR; a junior admin went to swap in a
replacement p/s and pulled the power cord out of the other, running,
p/s.  He realized as he did it that he'd screwed up and shoved the
cable back into the p/s.  The router no longer boots.  We want
someone to go over each component, figure out which are damaged,
repair or replace them, and put some sort of reasonable warranty
on their work.)

By "doesn't boot", do you mean it doesn't power on at all, or it powers on, but you don't see a proper boot sequence from the console? If the router powers up, there are a number of possibilities, depending on what you see on the console. If the router powers up, but hangs when it should start loading its boot image, it's possible your bootflash is corrupted, in which case you can try formatting the bootflash and xmodeming a new boot image onto it.

You might be able to find a competent electronics repair shop to repair the power supplies if that's what's fried, however you can get 7200 power supplies pretty cheaply on the used market, probably not much more than a repair shop would charge to tear your power supplies apart.

If the problem is not the power supplies, but something on the NPE or midplane, your only viable option is to replace the broken components.

Do you have another 7206VXR chassis that you can swap components into, to find out what works and what doesn't?

jms