Re: Juniper M10i sufficient for BGP, or go with M20?

  • From: Hyunseog Ryu
  • Date: Mon May 14 20:40:25 2007

If I remember correctly from M5/M10, they uses FEB (built-into-Chassis FPC version), and each FEB (row) has restriction up to 3.6Gbps rate.
So total aggregated bandwidth can not go over this limit.
If you install 4GE (4 of 1-port GigE PIC) in same FEB row, you can use 0.9Gbps in average per PIC with max 1Gbps. :-)
Also, 4GE PIC (single PIC with 4-port GigE) has limitation for up to 1Gbps aggregated bandwidth, too.
M7i/M10i has redundant RE options from M5/M10.
So no differencce except M7i with built-in GigE into chassis.

If you really wants to use GigE per trunk, you may have to use PE-1GE-SFP instead of single quad-port GigE PIC.

For memory, it may be sufficient with 768MB memory for now,
But if I were you, I would go with 1.5GB with new RE.
It's pain in the XXX to add more memory later from production system.
If you are concerned about the budget, you can use after-market memory.

Hyun

Donald Stahl wrote:

choice. Layout here is such that I'd expect to use a single quad gigabit port
ethernet blade in each of a pair of M10i/M20 to achieve redundancy.

he said 'blade' to which I read '4 pics in a FPC'... maybe it's a terminology thing? Neal?
The M10i doesn't have an FPC blade per se (it's built into the chassis) so in the context of the M10i I assumed "single quad gigabit port ethernet blade" meant a single card- though I could definitely be wrong. My knowledge of the Juniper line is sadly pretty limited.

-Don