Re: Juniper M10i sufficient for BGP, or go with M20?

  • From: sthaug
  • Date: Mon May 14 07:40:47 2007

>   I don't know much about Juniper but I'm about to learn with a new job.
> If I'm going to take full routes from a couple of upstreams and have a
> couple of peers will the M10i (768M max) be enough or is the M20 (2048M
> max) a better choice. Layout here is such that I'd expect to use a
> single quad gigabit port ethernet blade in each of a pair of M10i/M20 to
> achieve redundancy.

As mentioned in another email, the M10i can use the RE-850 which has
1.5 GByte on the RE.

As for the GigE cards: Note that the 4 port GigE PIC for M10i/M7i
(PE-4GE-TYPE1-SFP-IQ2) has 1 GigE (full duplex) backplane capacity,
thus you will *not* be able to run all 4 ports line rate at the same
time. I haven't checked whether the same restriction also applies to
the corresponding M20 card.

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, [email protected]