Re: Broadband routers and botnets - being proactive

  • From: Sean Donelan
  • Date: Sun May 13 23:45:29 2007

On Sun, 13 May 2007, Gadi Evron wrote:
"Passing the buck! Buck passer!" (see below - skip to Dilbert link)

I guess you missed my attempts 3 or 4 years ago at trying to establish some standards for CPE concerning security. I've been at this party for
a long time, I know how the song ends.

Not saying that you are wrong but... Ahh, these are out of our
control, nor will they do anything if we don't. Might as well tell users
not to patch their Windows systems as it's the responsibility of the store
who sold them the computer. Yes, it could help if the stores did
something.

I spent about a year of my life working with Microsoft on getting patched versions of Windows in the pipeline and getting OEMs to regularly update their manufacturing copy being pre-installed on machines as they leave
the factory. So yes, it did help to improve things in the pipeline.