Re: [urgent assistance] 198.32.0.0/16 - Disappeared...

  • From: Joe Abley
  • Date: Sun May 13 18:39:52 2007

On 12-May-2007, at 06:34, Fergie wrote:

Just as a follow-up to this:

The situation still exists: 198.32.0.0/16 is still missing in
action in the routing system, and more importantly, so are
EP.net's DNS servers. :-(

I'm not sure that 198.32.0.0/16 was ever advertised. EP.NET runs a registry for exchange points and other people that Bill feels like helping out and assigns from that number range; since the /16 covers many varied applications and organisations all over the planet, it seems unlikely that a /16 would do anything useful.

I have no problems reaching FLAG.EP.NET (198.32.4.13), DOT.EP.NET (198.32.2.10), both of which live in subnets numbered from 198.32.0.0/16 and administered by EP.NET directly.

A quick RIS query suggests that none of the RIS probes have ever seen an advertisement 198.32.0.0/16.

So, if Bill magically re-appears, or if anyone else can provide any
insight or assistance, please contact [email protected]

There are a number of prominent DNS servers numbered within 198.32.0.0/16; however, for various reasons a noticeable number of network operators take the position that all routes within that /16 are necessarily bogons, since it was originally designated for use in numbering exchange-point fabrics and those blocks ought properly not be advertised.

I take no philosophical position on any of that (it's far too sunny and verdant here to form that kind of opinion here this afternoon), and in a similar vein apologies for any historical inaccuracies I may have inferred above. However, from a purely operational perspective, you may want to check that the specific subnets of 198.32.0.0/16 that you are interested in have not been filtered by your transit providers.

Joe