Re: Best practices for [email protected] mailbox and network abuse complaint handling?

  • From: John Levine
  • Date: Sun May 13 17:07:49 2007

>> I was hoping that there would be someplace like abuse.net where we
>> could register our IPs and ASN, so non-NANOGers could know to
>> contact [email protected] when they think our network is attacking them?

That would be nice, wouldn't it?  There's two reasons I don't do that.
One is that unlike domains, there's no sensible default for unknown
addresses.  (Most ASNs have good contact info in the RIRs, but some
don't, and a fair number particularly in Asia are so tiny that they
really need the reports sent to the next one up.)  The other is that I
can barely keep up with the updates for domain names, and there's no
way I could do IPs without a major rewrite and a bunch of trustworthy
volunteers to share the load.

>Perhaps abuse.net could include links to:
>
>http://www.cymru.com/BGP/asnlookup.html
>http://www.completewhois.com/
>http://www.routeviews.org/
>etc.

Most abuse.net users barely have figured out that the From: line is
not always the right place to find the address to complain to.

R's,
John