RE: HSRP availability in datacenters?

  • From: Randal Kohutek
  • Date: Fri May 11 15:38:15 2007

I had read that on our original deployment, and it's a nightmare to keep the
documenation and configuration in synch. My personal opinion is that
potentially failing 16 VSIs over to the standby at once (because they're all
in the same group) - instead of just the affected ones - is poor policy.

I agree, 6500s or 4500s for distribution are where it's at ... Unfortunately
they cost a lot. Which is why the suits are considering financing them by
charging for the features they provide.

This has been a hot topic around the office, with all of us network guys
saying `keep hsrp everywhere` because it makes our phones ring less, but we
realize that network upgrades aren't free, which is making the non-IT folks
all antsy.

Regards,
Randal