RE: ISP CALEA compliance

  • From: Stasiniewicz, Adam
  • Date: Fri May 11 00:42:27 2007

I bet this guy used to work for Enron...

Anyway, here is what I have learned from my experience with our friends in
law enforcement (be it local, state, or federal).  First and foremost, they
like us are only humans trying to make a living.  They are not out to get us
and they don't take some sort of sick pleasure in making us do more work.
When dealing with law enforcement, it is best to be friendly, kind, and
polite.  Smiling helps too.  If they start using big words and legal jargon
or you are not sure how to proceed, call in the folks from legal.  But don't
go about trying to make life harder for law enforcement.  At the end of the
day, they are trying to lockup the folks that send spam, write viruses,
steal people's indentify, and make the Internet an unfriendly place.  That
is in addition to stopping all the terrorists, child pornographers,
stalkers, and other unsavory folks who use the Internet to help them in
their crimes.

My $0.02,
Adam Stasiniewicz