Re: ISP CALEA compliance

  • From: Mike Hammett
  • Date: Thu May 10 16:59:21 2007

Join the wireless list at wispa.org and the wisp list at part-15.org They've been discussing it quite a bit. There's also a FAQ at wispa.org

----- Mike Hammett Intelligent Computing Solutions http://www.ics-il.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Nikos Mouat" <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Thursday, May 10, 2007 10:44 AM
Subject: ISP CALEA compliance

I have interpretted CALEA to apply only to providers of VOICE service, be it VOIP or traditional, however I was told this morning point blank by the FCC that CALEA most definitely applies to all ISPs that provide internet access at speeds over 200k.

The FCC said that routers must send a copy of all packets to and from a selected IP to law enforcement in real time from gateway routers.

I've seen very little CALEA related traffic on this list which reinforced my belief that it did not apply to data providers.

Can anyone comment on this?

Thanks.
-nm