Re: ISP CALEA compliance

  • From: Patrick Muldoon
  • Date: Thu May 10 14:38:55 2007

On May 10, 2007, at 2:03 PM, Jason Frisvold wrote:

Here's a question that's come up around here.  Does a CALEA intercept
include "hairpining" or is it *only* traffic leaving your network?
I'm of the opinion that a CALEA intercept request includes every bit
of traffic being sent or received by the targeted individual, but
there is strong opposition here that thinks only internet-related
traffic counts.

IANAL and I don't even play on the net, but...

We've been under the impression that is *all* data. So for us, things like PPPoE Sessions, just putting a tap/span port upstream of the aggregation router will not work as you would miss any traffic going from USER A <-> USER B, if they where on the same aggregation device. Since the Intercept has to be invisible to the parties being tapped, you can't route their traffic back out and then in either, since the tap would change the flow. In that regard, we've been upgrading our older NPE's to newer ones in order to support SII, All the while I keep having something a co-worker said stuck in my head. "CALEA - Consultant And Lawyer Enrichment Act" :)

-Patrick

--
Patrick Muldoon
Network/Software Engineer

Sure it's user-friendly...if you know what you're doing.