Re: ISP CALEA compliance

  • From: Jeff Shultz
  • Date: Thu May 10 14:18:51 2007

Jason Frisvold wrote:

On 5/10/07, Jared Mauch <[email protected]> wrote:
        If you're not offering VoIP services, your life may be easier as
you will only need to intercept the data.  Depending on your environment
you could do this with something like port-mirroring, or something
more advanced.  There are a number of folks that offer TTP (Trusted
third-provider) services.  Verisign comes to mind.  But using a TTP
doesn't mean you can hide behind them.  Compliance is ultimately your
(the company that gets the subponea) responsibility.

Here's a question that's come up around here. Does a CALEA intercept include "hairpining" or is it *only* traffic leaving your network? I'm of the opinion that a CALEA intercept request includes every bit of traffic being sent or received by the targeted individual, but there is strong opposition here that thinks only internet-related traffic counts.

- Jared (IANAL!)

That would be something best brought up with a CALEA lawyer or one of the Trusted Third Party companies for an answer.

I suspect that you probably ought to have the capability of getting both ends of the "conversation" (incoming & outgoing) as the warrant may be written that way.

--
Jeff Shultz