Re: ISP CALEA compliance

  • From: David E. Smith
  • Date: Thu May 10 12:38:23 2007

Nikos Mouat wrote:

> I have interpretted CALEA to apply only to providers of VOICE service,
> be it VOIP or traditional, however I was told this morning point blank
> by the FCC that CALEA most definitely applies to all ISPs that provide
> internet access at speeds over 200k.

That, and the definition of ISP, are still a bit fuzzy...

[email protected], for instance, has had a LOT of chatter about that,
but WISPA's staff attorney believes that small wireless ISPs are
required to be CALEA-compliant. (WISPA is a trade association for
wireless ISPs.) If small ISPs have to be compliant, it's probably safe
to assume big ISPs are too. :)