Re: [cacti-announce] Cacti 0.8.6j Released (fwd)

  • From: Joe Abley
  • Date: Wed May 09 09:47:29 2007

On 9-May-2007, at 05:25, <[email protected]> <[email protected]> wrote:

but I'm still unclear on
what an MIB actually _is_,

A MIB is the database schema for an object-oriented hierarchical database.

I believe that (some?) purists would assert that there is but one MIB, and that all other MIB-like entities shipped by vendors and others are properly called MIB Extensions. This is pedantry, however.

Once upon a time when I was called about to care about this stuff I digested the book "Understanding SNMP MIBs" by David Perkins and Evan McGinnis, Prentice Hall, ISBN 0-13-437708-7. Anybody looking for a dead-tree treatment of SNMP from the design perspective could do a lot worse.

Joe