Re: Cacti 0.8.6j Released (fwd)

  • From: Peter Dambier
  • Date: Wed May 09 03:22:03 2007

Matthew Palmer wrote:
On Tue, May 08, 2007 at 08:10:56PM -0700, matthew zeier wrote:

and
more to the point how the whole shebang (I'm using net-snmpd) is
typically used.

Agent on device provides values, management app(s) collect data by polling (and possibly via traps), sysadmin gets to go home on time for once.

I have yet to see this work in practice however.

Yeah, I misread 'typically' as 'theoretically'.  Practical experience is
more like:

Agent on device lies about it's values, management apps collect lies (and
ignore/lose traps), and the sysadmin has yet more software to swear at. <grin>

- Matt

Just for curiousities sake

IASON is reading logs most of the time. proc2pl is reading the /proc filesystem.

I did not find the time and equipment for testing so I used snmpwalk to write
a file and read it just like any normal file or /proc.

Processing the output of snmpwalk just got me the "normal" log file I was
interested in.

I tried writing back into snmp variables but I never got a HP Procurve switch
to do what I wanted. When they used different MIBs for different families of
their switches, I gave up.

Now I see linux boxes most of the time. They all use different MIBs for
different things. Reading /proc is much easier and there a fewer differences
between the machines.

The soho stuff I find mostly uses web interfaces sometimes a real linux with
a real log but almost never snmp.

Looks sad, but I am still interested as it could make things a lot easier.

Cheers Peter and Karin

-- Peter and Karin Dambier Cesidian Root - Radice Cesidiana Rimbacher Strasse 16 D-69509 Moerlenbach-Bonsweiher +49(6209)795-816 (Telekom) +49(6252)750-308 (VoIP: sipgate.de) mail: [email protected] mail: [email protected] http://iason.site.voila.fr/ https://sourceforge.net/projects/iason/ http://www.cesidianroot.com/