Re: barak-online.net icmp performance vs. traceroute/tcptraceroute, ssh, ipsec

  • From: Joe Maimon
  • Date: Mon May 07 10:41:34 2007

Scott Weeks wrote:

--- [email protected] wrote:
From: "Lincoln Dale" <[email protected]>
To: "'Joe Maimon'" <[email protected]>

The standard control plane arguments dont apply when the pattern holds all the way through to equipment under your {remote-}control.

:
: it most certainly does. lets use an example : network of:
: F
: |
:A---B---C---D---E
: |
: G
:
:
: you are looking at ICMP/traceroute responses : through sending traffic to/from A & E.
:
:for all you know, there may be an ICMP DDoS attack

What about something as simplistic as tcptraceroute?

My apologies for not making it clear that I had used that tool with the same results at the same time on ports 80, 22 and 23. With large and small packet sizes.

It won't give you path MTU info, but there're other tools that can.

scott