Re: Ratio between Number of Radius Accouting Server and Number of Radiuis Authentication Server

  • From: Joe Shen
  • Date: Thu May 03 22:26:01 2007

We establish two server farm which service on two IP.
BAS use that two IP as AAA server addresses.
Currently , number of accouting server is much less
than authentication server although DB connection
allocated to accouting server is nearly the same to
authentication servers.

The problem is,  radius server responding speed may
become very slow ( more than 100s) at peak time. some
of radius accouting packets overflows when they are
sent to radius server process queue. As radius
responding speed is slow, BAS retransmit those packets
in queue, the system performance worsen for
duplicated packets. some dial-session is not closed
normally because Accouting-off packets are lost or
overflowed.

I plan to deal with the problem by starting at
incoming packets rate measurement, and server
structure  optimization. But, there seems to be too
few material available.

Joe