Re: 96.0.0.0/6 reachability testing

  • From: Warren Kumari
  • Date: Wed May 02 15:56:06 2007

On May 2, 2007, at 2:58 PM, Scott Weeks wrote:

--- [email protected] wrote:

On 5/1/07 7:19 PM, "Scott Weeks" <[email protected]> wrote:
: Randy's MUA automatically deletes email sent directly to him...

Probably because you have a 12+ line .sig full of lawyer-speak.

Both practices arguably ingenious or idiotic... -----------------------------------------------------

Doesn't matter. He doesn't want to see the .sig and it's his email system. Others do the same.

I gotta admit it's a really big .sig that's utterly useless. It *IS* being disseminated, distributed and copied and on a global basis. It's "unlawful" in what country? No one's going to delete all copies. Blah, blah, blah...

Yup, these really long .sigs used to annoy me no end, especially when trying to read email over dial-up or satellite or some other slow access method. I used to complain to the sender that it was a stupid, unenforceable practice....

And then I worked for a place that automagically inserted something similar....

After countless (ok, it was probably only 9 or so, but it sure felt countless at the time) meetings with different groups all pointing fingers at each other ("Its legal's doing!", "SOX! We have to do it for SOX reasons", "The mail server automatically does it and we don't know where to turn it off"(!), "Think of the children!") I eventually just gave in and lived with it...

That fact that my (work) emails had some random gobbledygook inserted that I had no control over didn't in any way change the importance [0] or validity[1] of what I had typed above it (and giving up the fight allowed me to work on other, more important stuff -- like keeping the network running).

I don't think that Ron is choosing to put this .sig in his mail, some ugly corporate mail gateway is probably appending it for him. While he could spend a huge amount of time trying to explain to someone at Time Warner that it is a stupid thing to do, I sure he has better things to do...

Warren
[0] about zero
[1] also about zero.

scott

----------------------------------------- This E-mail and any of its attachments may contain Time Warner Cable proprietary information, which is privileged, confidential, or subject to copyright belonging to Time Warner Cable. This E-mail is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient of this E-mail, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, copying, or action taken in relation to the contents of and attachments to this E-mail is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this E-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and permanently delete the original and any copy of this E-mail and any printout.

--
Never criticize a man till you've walked a mile in his shoes. Then if he didn't like what you've said, he's a mile away and barefoot.