Re: from the academic side of the house

  • From: Leigh Porter
  • Date: Tue Apr 24 12:17:34 2007

Adrian Chadd wrote:
On Tue, Apr 24, 2007, [email protected] wrote:

The next day, the team used a modified version of TCP to achieve an even
greater record. Using the same 30,000 km path, the network was able to
achieve a throughput of 9.08 Gbps which is equal to 272,400 Tb-m/s for both
the IPv6 multi and single stream categories. In doing so, the team surpassed
the current IPv4 records, proving that IPv6 networks are able to provide the
same, if not better, performance as IPv4.

As one of the poor bastards still involved in rolling out VoIP over satellite
delivered IP at the moment, I can safely say I'm (currently) happy noone's trying
to push H.323 over IPv6 over these small-sized satellite links. Lord knows
we have enough trouble getting concurrent calls through 20 + 20 + byte overheads when the voice payload's -20- bytes.

(That said, I'd be so much happer if the current trend 'ere wasn't to -avoid-
delivering serial ports for the satellite service so we can run VoFR or PPP
w/header compression - instead being presented IP connectivity only at
either end, but you can't have everything..)

Adrian
Does anybody have any working v6 header suppression/compression working yet?

When I was doing VoIP over VSAT people kept trying to give me modems with Ethernet on them, not good for doing any header compression.

--
Leigh