Re: BGP certificate insanity was: (DHS insanity - offtopic)

  • From: Joe Abley
  • Date: Tue Apr 24 08:54:40 2007

On 24-Apr-2007, at 11:51, <[email protected]> wrote:

How can anybody be sure that the random peering tech they are
talking
to really works for the organisation listed in the whois record? By
visual inspection of the e-mail address?

Do people really talk to random peering techs? I thought that peering contacts were all set up via face-to-face meetings.

Your view of the world is far from universal.

In any case, if it
is email authentication that you are after, putting certificates in your
router will not help you.

I never suggested putting certificates in a router.

Also, normal business practices can be very useful to establish the
identity of people.

For sure, but I don't need to care about the identity of people if I have am given a signed ROA which checks out back to a trust anchor I am prepared to trust.

No crypto on routers involved.

Joe