Re: DHCPv6, was: Re: IPv6 Finally gets off the ground

  • From: Stephen Sprunk
  • Date: Mon Apr 16 22:32:12 2007

Thus spake "Jeroen Massar" <[email protected]>
But for the rest it all seems pretty fine to me...

or do you mean that those ibahn things see "NOERROR" and
then no answers, thus wrongly cache that as label has 0 answers
at all? or what I mention above with the redirect?

They do the same thing for requests that don't involve a CNAME, so they're either choking on the AAAA query or a NOERROR response in general; it's hard to tell which since I can only see one side of their box. I also don't know how they react when you try to contact a site that _does_ have AAAA records, since no major content site has them (which is a whole 'nother discussion).

What's weird is that they don't just return a 0-record NOERROR when you do the follow-up A query, which would be the most logical failure mode -- they return an authoritative answer of 0.0.0.1 instead.

Of course, dealing with idiot consumers on a regular basis, their tech support folks insist the problem is on the user's machine and that it's a bug in their v6 stack, despite Ethereal captures showing the bad DNS response packets coming from their box...

K5SSS --Isaac Asimov