Re: DHCPv6, was: Re: IPv6 Finally gets off the ground

  • From: Chris L. Morrow
  • Date: Mon Apr 16 20:00:56 2007

On Mon, 16 Apr 2007, Stephen Sprunk wrote:

> Thus spake "Jeroen Massar" <[email protected]>
> > Fred Heutte wrote:
> > > I spent a couple hours in a hotel recently trying to untangle why
> > > using the DSL system I could see the net but couldn't get to any
> > > sites other than a few I tried at random like the BBC, Yahoo
> > > and Google.
> > >
> > > That's because they are among the few that apparently have
> > > IPv6 enabled web systems.
> >
> > They don't have "IPv6 enabled web systems", a lot of people
> > wished that they did. What your problem most likely was, was
> > a broken DNS server, which, when queried for an AAAA simply
> > doesn't respond.
>
> In fact, it's one particular vendor (whose name I haven't been able to
> discover) of pay-for-Internet transparent proxy/NAT devices, such as those
> commonly used in hotels and at hotspots, that's messing the whole thing up.
> They return an address of 0.0.0.1 in response to any DNS query from an
> IPv6-capable client, and they've decided to train their service providers'
> tech support departments to tell customers to turn off v6 rather than fix
> what should be a very simple bug.

the STSN devices? or 'ibahn' ? One thing to keep in mind is that the
DNS-LB used by Google/yahoo (in the examples above) seems to be returning
a CNAME for AAAA queries, then nothing for the follow-up resolution
request for a AAAA for the CNAME... So, ipv6 things may look 'broken'
because they are also 'slow' (waiting to re-do much of the lookup path to
get the A version)