Re: Thoughts on increasing MTUs on the internet

  • From: Joe Maimon
  • Date: Sat Apr 14 22:09:22 2007

Simon Leinen wrote:

* Current Path MTU Discovery doesn't work reliably.

  Please, let's wait for these more robust PMTUD mechanisms to be
  universally deployed before trying to increase the Internet MTU.

I think this is the proper summary of where we are at: Trying to restore one of the original design goals of ipv4 -- reliable internetworking of different MTU sized networks.

But the waiting game doesnt work, act local and think global.

* IP assumes a consistent MTU within a logical subnet.

This seems to be a pretty fundamental assumption, and Iljitsch's
original mail suggests that we "fix" this.

This is an implementation detail, since local IP nodes have no conception of remote IP nodes subnet detals.