Re: Question on 7.0.0.0/8

  • From: David Conrad
  • Date: Sat Apr 14 16:25:41 2007

Hi,

On Apr 14, 2007, at 12:47 PM, Rob Thomas wrote:
We checked with IANA, ARIN, and the US DoD regarding 7.0.0.0/8. We were told that this netblock should not see the light of day,

Right. Packets sourced out of 7.0.0.0/8 should never be seen on the Internet.

though there is some debate about its allocation status.

Not really. The debate is about how that status should be reflected in the IPv4 registry maintained by IANA. The ARIN data is, as far as I am aware, accurate.

We're waiting for all of those parties to issue a consistent statement before we make any changes.

When we tried to update the IANA registry to reflect what was in the ARIN database, we were told not to. We tried to explain the registration information was already public via ARIN, but were told not to update the IANA registry. IANA and ARIN are working out something to resolve this issue.

Rgds,
-drc